Saturday, June 30, 2012

Another leg of the journey complete....

Another leg of the journey complete....
When I went in to begin my last cycle of chemotherapy on June 18th for some reason I was not real excited.  This turned out to be a good thing as my blood counts were low and my treatment was delayed a week.  Not being excited was a good thing because if you are not excited you don't have far to fall.  
Last Tuesday my blood counts were good and I was given my first of four infusions.  I was a bit excited about the blood work being OK but not real excited about getting up at 5:30 AM to make the drive to the city for the last infusions. I actually found myself wide awake at 4 AM. 
Traffic left me getting there right on time to check in but still a bit late for my 8 Am appointment.  I did not feel so bad because as I headed to the elevator for the 11th floor  I saw Judy the nurse who had given me most of my infusions. I told her to slow down because she would be waiting on me. 
My nephew Tom brought me sausage McMuffins when  he picked me up for the drive down and after I settled in, I added frosted strawberry pop tarts , a bagel with peanut butter and as lunch time neared a meat loaf sandwich.  
I watched the monitor on the IV pump finishing my last infusion, the timer ran out and Judy came in but there was still some left.  She reprogrammed it to run slow so I could make a much needed trip to the boys room. I returned got back in the bed and got my camera out in time to snap a picture of the monitor on the IV pump. It read .25ml.  Judy turned the pump off, removed the IV,  I put my shoes on and gathered my stuff. It was finished.
A few moments later several nurses returned with a certificate of my "Last chemo Day" signed by everyone working that day.   Another leg of the journey was not only finished but was "complete."  
The James Center is very well known for treating cancer but I feel the reason they have this reputation is not just for the work they do but also the people doing the work...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home