Sunday, June 17, 2012

Closing time...


Closing time ...

Tomorrow begins cycle 4, my last scheduled cycle of chemo. Each cycle has brought changes as well as some constants.  All  of cycle one brought what seemed to be constant changes in nausea medicine trying to find the right one. I know constant change is an oxy moron. Cycle 2 seemed too be better with hydration after a week, and this morning I just feel like I've completely recovered from cycle 3.  
I sit here and think about cycle 4 with mixed feelings, and surprisingly I'm not real excited about tomorrow being the beginning of the end. The song "Closing Time" by Semisonic comes to mind, and one line in particular "every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end" seems to stick out.  The chemo ends but next on the agenda is surgery to remove and reconstruct my bladder. I'm not gonna miss the physical aspects of chemo but there have been some things that have been fun about going through it. 
When I made my first visit to the Urologist at the Martha Morehouse Medical Center (part of the James Center @ OSU), my nephew, Tommy rode down with me and my cousin Mary met us there. Mary took notes and asked questions and just like she said I sat there pretty much overwhelmed at everything the Dr was saying.  Afterwards she told me that I needed to get a folder with file pockets to keep all of my papers in. So I did and everyone who sees this is impressed with how organized I appear to be. Thanks Mary. 
This brings to mind another constant, my nephew Tom has been going with me to pretty much every appointment from the beginning. He takes notes, files papers, helps me to remember questions, makes sure I get my scripts filled... He's pretty much my personal assistant. I told him about the movie "Bucket List" and how I felt like Jack Nicholson who had a personal assistant in the movie who was interestingly named "Thomas."
We've got a routine. If we have a lot of questions or I've had a lot of problems I try to have them printed out.  Tommy comes to the house, usually I've put the file folder into the shoulder bag with my laptop, we talk about the day, Tommy grabs the bag and we head out.  I feel like the President,  my nephew wearing dark glasses  walking with me everyplace I go carrying this bag. The laptop and medical folder contain a very large chunk of my life.  It brings to mind the "Football"  you see someone carrying that supposedly contains the codes to launch a nuclear attack that is always with the President. 
Some of the constants of chemo can be fun. For now i think it's "Closing Time" 
I've had another though come to mind while typing this, check back for "Motel Time" 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home