Friday, June 22, 2012

Motel Time!


Motel Time!
Some are looking at this picture and memories of closing time at the OK Cafe are coming back to mind.  The sign in this picture is probably the only thing left of what I consider a bygone era. 
Mo Mosure  was the "Proprietor" of the OK cafe. I remember seeing Moe's signature on a menu with the word "propprietor" below, it always sounded so formal but at the same time welcoming if that makes sense. I looked up the definition of proprietor and it simply means "the owner of a business or establishment"  Mo was a very likable guy and proprietor fit him much more than owner.
I read once that the OK was the first bar to open in Marion after the repeal of prohibition, and though I'm not old enough to remember this,  I do have many memories over the years. In the early years there  were two entrances on the front of the building, one going to the pizza shop and the other to the bar. Inside, between the two there was a opening where a pay phone hung on the wall, I'm guessing at one time this may have been stairs to the upper floors.  A large  carved wooden sign hung out front, it featured a crest, above read OK Cafe, and below "Omega Kappa Alpha Chapter." In those days OSUM (Ohio state University Marion)was very small and I doubt there were any fraternities in town, I often wondered what the tie was.
As a child I remember several times sitting at the bar eating a hamburger with my dad, usually it was in the afternoon and things were empty and quiet. 
As years went by I was able to go to the OK on my own, in the early days you could by Old Milwaukee for thirty-five cents a mug or a pitcher for $1.25.  It wasn't just about the beer, I remember going there many times after church on a Sunday night for pizza - and a beer.  
In 1991 while in the Air Force I came home for a week to celebrate my 30th birthday. Throughout the week I gathered with different friends but spent my actual birthday riding my motorcycle and ended the day eating pizza at there.  One Christmas while I was stationed in Germany some friends took a video camera into the OK and sent me a tape of greetings from friends and family who were there.  
As time goes on things change, the front of the bar was opened up across the front to include  the pizza shop, more and bigger windows were added and there was only one entrance. I think it was in 1993 when Mo died, there have been several different owners since then, all claiming to be just that - "owner." That may also explain why I've only been there 3 times since Mo passed away.
So what does this have to do with "Motel Time?" Some of you know, for those who don't at 12:45 every night Mo had this small club he would beat on the back of booths. He would then announce "It's motel time! You got 15 minutes, chug 'em if you love 'em lose 'em if you don't!"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like some body has been around the block a few times!

June 22, 2012 at 6:59 PM  
Blogger life is just a one night stand said...

were you following me around that block?

June 22, 2012 at 7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home