Thursday, June 21, 2012

Snow Day....


Snow Day.....
Last Monday should have began my last cycle of chemo, some had been telling me over the weekend I should be excited.  But I wasn't. I was glad to be finishing but was not getting real excited, simply because I know the routine. The nausea, being tired, not knowing what to eat, drinking water and Gatorade until I drown. You know, "the routine."
Monday I made the trip to the Martha Morehouse Medical Center for a blood draw, DR. visit and chemo and as the song goes 2 out of three ain't bad - but not good enough. The DR had just mentioned that this, my last cycle of chemo, was like my "graduation day." Then a nurse came in and said the system that dones the blood tests kicked mine out for platelet count which meant they were either too high or low. The blood tests verified by a person and confirmed my platelets were low, which meant no chemo today.  The DR. speculated it may have been because I had been there the week before on a Tuesday and it had not been a complete 2 weeks. I was just barely under the minimum, but that still meant no chemo. 
I had an appointment with a Urologist the next day so it was decided that because I was so close to the minimum the count may be high enough the next day.  Some may have been disappointed but I wasn't, it was going to be an early day and I sort of felt like I had a "snow day" from school and my first thought was head up to the lake.  
I returned the next day to find that my platelets were still low and that my chemo would be pushed back another week .One of the first thoughts I had was that since I was not as excited as some thought I should be I did not have far to fall when the last cycle did not happen as scheduled.  My second thought was I had a snow week! Anytime you get a week off of school for  snow you got a blizzard which is why I've included the above picture, taken during the blizzard of 1978.
This is the third day of temperatures in the mid 90's and all of this typing about snow does not make things any cooler. Maybe I'll finally make that trip to the lake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home