Saturday, July 21, 2012

Wine and Roses....


Last Wednesday  I attended the funeral for my dads sister Wanda. On my dads side we were close to his brother Dick but not real close to his other siblings.  The last two times I saw my aunt Wanda was at her husband Bill's funeral in 2004 and at her daughter Linda's funeral in 2003.  With some thats how "family reunions" usually happen and usually was the case on my dad's side of the family. She was the last of my dads siblings alive and I found out about her passing because I tend to read the obits. 
Having not seen my aunt for some years I wondered how I would be received. I entered the parlor and was greeted by two ladies who had been taking care of my aunt. Marge, who lived next to my aunt for probably 35 years plus and Mary a high school friend of my cousin Linda. They helped my aunt in many ways, - looking after her, helping her make the move to an assisted living center and finally being with her when she passed. They were very gracious in talking with me and introducing me to people. They  along with a gentleman named Bill Stone made what could have been an awkward situation very pleasant.
There was one thing I found to be unique, We buried my aunt on Wed. July 18th, 2012.  It was on this same date in 1987 that we buried my dad. I usually try to write about my dad on this day, look for a post soon.
The rose in the picture is from my aunts casket, the wine bottle I bought (filled) on my first visit to Germany in 1986.
RS

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home