Thursday, April 17, 2008

Dire Straits ....

Twenty two years ago today I took my 1974 Dodge Challenger for my last drive for maybe 6 months and began a  journey that would change my life.  With my dad, brother and brother-in-law  in tow  I drove roughly 45 miles to the MEP Station (Military Entry Processing). It was early, I had been out late trying to see all my friends one last time and my dad reminded me not to speed -- I'd wind up in the brig before I hit boot camp! I parked the car, handed my dad the keys, grabbed my bag and as I was doing all of this my dad shared those common words of wisdom I'd heard so many times in the past 25 years "keep your nose clean"

I crossed the street and began a long days journey to  U.S. Air force Basic Military Training, Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio, Texas.  Something interesting happened that day, I didn't just join the Air Force.  My dad, my uncles, and many of my cousins-male and female, became my "Brothers in Arms".  

Life takes on a whole new meaning and if you've never been in the military you would not understand. the day you leave for basic is one you never forget.  You remember it as the day you retired or the day you could have been retired.  For me it was the could have been, and trust me it was very hard to get up and go to work today.  When people ask how long I was in I quickly reply " 6 years, 7 months, 14 days" Knowing they think it must have been pretty bad to know that detail I add "was the best time of my life"

So why were they the best days?  Well I  got to see a lot of the world, pretty much all during peace time, got to meet a couple presidents while working with Air Force One, had bologna sandwiches with a First Lady.  

Yes if I'd have stayed I could be retired, also could have been killed but the bottom line is I  did not stay and nothing will change that so why let it get me down.  One thing I do know is that I feel I can say without a doubt that I am right where God wants me to be doing what he wants me to do. I'm gonna get out of here for now.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed looking through a window of your past.May God bless you for the time you gave in service for our country.

April 17, 2008 at 9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home