Friday, March 7, 2008

October Road

If you know me I'm not one for much TV but occasionally I can get reeled in late at night.  One show that I do not watch but tends to reel me in is October road and last Monday it got me.  Actually it was a combination of the story and the music.  

The show was a combination flashback to when some of the characters were ten and present day.  

In the flashback it shows the main characters (all guys) and a girl named Angela Firelli. Angela moves away (3 towns over) like in March but tells the guys to come to her birthday party in May. So time goes on and they are all getting on the bus to go to Angela's party.    As they ride the bus they are kind of lip syncing a song by Cinderella called "I'm coming home" one guy picks up a tennis racket for a guitar, 2 are singing and another is playing air drums.  

For  some reason the lyrics "I took a ride down a road, it's the road I was meant to stay"  seem to be stuck in my mind that coupled with the distinct sound of and Ovation 12 string guitar.  They get  to the party only to meet Angela's boyfriend.  One of the guys, Phil, had bought a necklace with "I remember you" engraved on it, told the others it was her favorite song. Of course when Phil meets her boyfriend he decides maybe he does not need to give her the necklace. One thing that can happen with life is that things change, the guys don't feel right with Angela's new crowd  so they kind of disappear without saying good by.  

So why the flash back Ralph?  Well in present day "the old gang"  learns that Angela was killed in a car crash and with this comes the usual Reminiscing of the good times past.  Phil is talking with his dad about this while shuffeling through some  things and stumbles across the necklace.  They all go to the funeral meet Angela's husband and young daughter, maybe 8 years old.  Phil kneels before the daughter, shows her the necklace, tells her he meant to give it to her mother but never did and that he'd like her to have it.  Phil looks up at het father he gives a nodd of approval and Phil places the necklace around her neck.  As they leave the funeral the Skid Row song "I remember you starts playing. Part of the chrous

Remember yesterday -- walking hand in hand.
Love letters in the sand -- I remember you.
Through sleepless nights and every endless day.
I wanna hear you say -- I remember you.


So what's your point Ralph? Not real sure, maybe one might be don't ever leave without saying good by, actually I prefer see ya later -- good by is so permanent. Another  is that life is short, we've all probably had at least one Angela Firelli in our lives. In my short time of pastoring I've had to deal with what seems like a lot of death, along with death comes the regrets.  I think as long as there is life there will probably be regrets, i know I have a few, some I can never "fix" and some I'm gonna be thinking about when I finish this post.  Along with my regrets I have a truck load of memories.  Memories of good times, people I've met, special friends and special times, places we've been, food we've ate, things we've done and when my time comes to pass I'd hope everyone is saying "remember when..." 

This past week has been kind of hard, but I've seemed to keep a song by the Martins in my head...

On my baddest bad days, in my deepest dark night, 
I know that everything is gonna be alright because...

GOD"S GOOD!!

Thanks Debbie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home