Saturday, April 19, 2008

Desperado....

Was leaving work after a long day last week, turned on the radio to hear the Eagles singing Desperado .  Got me to thinking about what they were saying, I had heard the song many times before and the verse  that always seemed to catch my ear was 

Desperado oh you ain't gettin' no younger
Your pain and your hunger they're driving you home
And freedom, oh freedom well, that's just some people talkin'
Your prison is walkin' through this world alone.

As I started typing this entry the first though was just what is a desperado, you know the dictionary definition.  So I clicked on the dictionary widget (it's a MAC thing) and looked it up.  As expected it said it was a noun,  a desperate or reckles person, especially a criminal.  Made sense, then I read on down to a part  on derrivitives.  Said it came from desperradoism a 17th century alteration of the obsolete Spanish word desperate.  It said that desperate and desperado both both denoted someone in dispair or a desperate situation.  Hence someone made reckless by despair.

English and History classes over, Philosophy and Religion to follow....

When I listen to this song, I normally listen to it from a single persons persppective...

Desperado you ain't gettin' no younger....
And freedom, oh freedom thats just some people talkin'
You prison is walkin' through this world alone

Being single we think, a lot about the first 2.  There are some definite freedoms to being single, we never have to ask "honey do you mind if I ..."  And those who are not single can remind us of those freedoms.  Also sometimes we can feel imprisoned by being alone. 

But as I was driving home the other day I must have been in the preacher mode and got to thinking about salvation and if you have not figured out yet the Lord has given me a burden for the hurting and lost.  Not just what I'd call the ordinary lost and hurting but those who most would not reach out to, those who some churches would not even reach out to. 

I find I spend a lot of time in hospitals, funeral homes and even mental health units. Obviously one thing I do find is that people are not getting any younger, even myself. But its not about getting old, I think its more about what we have done with our lives. Many do not learn of Jesus gift of forgiveness until they are one deaths bed.  They think they are free to do as they please and have all the friends they'll ever need when in reality without Jesus they are walking through this world alone.  

And then there is what I find to be ironic about the song and my present thoughts is the final verse.


Desperado, why don't you come to your senses?
Come down from your fences, open the gate
It may be rainin', but there's a rainbow above you.
You better let somebody love you, before it's to late.

Many of us have road the fences, some still do.  And if you look hard enough and give them what they want  you can usually find somebody to "love you."

My guess is that most who read this know Jesus, his gift of love and eternal life, my question today is what are you doing to pass that love on to that person we pass everyday? On the streets, at work, in the mall, at the hospital ....

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The thing is that the grass is always greener on the other side, no matter what side of the fence you ride. And that desperation for what the other side can always hit you, even though your side of the fence looks pretty good if you'd just take a look at it.

Maybe that's why the Eagles broke up, all had solo careers (or so it seems), and got back together years later.

April 24, 2008 at 3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home