Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A day that will live in infamy....

I know this is a bit late, but I've been dealing with a migraine and am typing by the light of the screen.

As most know today is Pearl Harbor Day, a day that will live in infamy. Pearl Harbor Day has always been an important part of my life, my dad was a Marine and for most of the first 25 years of my life when he was alive he would always tell us about the attack on Pearl Harbor where he was and what he was doing. Suprisingly I don't remember where he was stationed but I do remember him telling that he had just finished breakfast and was on his way to church when he got word. For me and my brother this became an important part of our life, we'd be going to bed on Dec. 6th saying "you know what tomorrow is" we both knew we would get up to hear about "the day that will live in infamy" It's been 23 years since my dad passed away, but Pearl Harbor did not. Every year either myself or my brother will call the other just to remind us not only of the day but also a special way to remember dad.

There's some talk on the web about Kathy Lee Gifford, seems she mentioned Pearl Harbor day and felt she needed to also remember that it was on this day some years ago she made her debut on broadway. Some felt she was either brushing off Pearl Harbor Day or maybe saying her debut was just as important. Got to admit being a veteran, from a military family and having an uncle killed in WWll I was a bit irked at the situation.

I've been giving this some thought and here are some ideas. Obviously people in the public eye are and should be held to a higher standard. I'm sure there may be a stalker or family member who is worried about this great debut but not many more. Sometimes we have to draw a line but the question is where? And what should determine where the line is drawn. I could really care less about her debut.

At the same time I got to thinking about other historical events, we all know where we were when Kennedy was shot, when Elvis died, and most recently when the twin towers fell on 9/11. At the same time we tend to focus on what was going on in the world and not our lives.

What really got me thinking about this was my great great nieces birthday. She turned 3 on November 16th, which was also the 2nd anniversary of my moms passing away. I had mixed feelings about going to the party but went, and I did not go and mention my moms passing. I considered the people I was with and decided to go to the party and to draw a line so that this innocent child could enjoy her birthday.

If you know me you know the military was an important part of my life, it was a good time and I enjoyed my years. I enlisted in the Air Force on January 28th, 1986, the day the space shuttle Challenger exploded shortly after launch. I remember this day every year, the pride of becoming a member of the armed forces, and the tragedy of the Challenger explosion. I consider the company I'm in and decide where to draw the line. Until the day the Lord returns there will be more tragedies and more celebrations, and if you happen to have an audience on the anniversary of one of these think about where to draw the line, think carefully before you speak and speak slowly when you do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home