Tuesday, November 23, 2010

.... I thought that was you.

We've all been there, and I've found myself there more often as I've gotten older. I was there last night. So where is there? You are out and about and you see someone you have not seen for a very long time, even years. You're pretty sure its them but not real sure so you slowly approach them and say "are you so and so", they reply yes and you say "I thought that was you" and the conversation goes on.


Last night I was there. I was sitting at Wendy's with a 99 cent double stack and order of their new fries. As I ate a gentleman walked in and I got a good look at his face and I was sure I knew him. I watched him go through the line and sit down to begin eating. As I finished eating I debated on approaching him. Finally I got up dumped my tray, got a Coke for the road, and decided what the heck. I walked up and said "are you Harry Holler" he said yes and I replied "I thought that was you" He said he recognized my face when he walked in the door but could not remember my name. He looked pretty much the same but was very soft spoken, we chatted for a few minutes and I went out the door.

As I went about my evening I though about a lot of things, The man I'd spoke to was the father of one of the members of the youth group at the church I attended in high school. I thought about the things he had taught me from the Bible and life, the many times he and his wife had opened their home to our group, something I could be thankful for some 30 years later.
I also thought about the many other adults who had the same influence in my life.


Soon another thought came to mind, I met this man over 30 years ago, I'd been in the military, am a Pastor and about to turn 50 and this man was still "Mr. Holler". I also thought how much society has changed. When I was a child we were allowed to address aunts and uncles by their first name, but never anyone outside the family. Mom and dad did not care what their parents said was ok we were never to address them by their first name and that holds true for most today. My parents were not real strict but if nothing else they taught me respect - for those older than me, for the flag, for funeral processions, for the law, and many other aspects of life.

If you have children or grandchildren I hope that you take time and effort to teach them to show respect, it will take them a long way in life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home