Sunday, November 28, 2010

Holy day sandwich....

I've been thinking about Christmas the past few days, expectations, traditions, how we look at holidays and how our priorities have changed. Today is the last day of the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, with the day after Thanksgiving being the traditional beginning of the Christmas shopping season.

The Black Friday sales are over, leftovers are almost gone, tomorrow for most its back to work and school. To most today is just another day sandwiched between two "holy days." You may be asking "holy days"?

To some yesterday was a "holy day" the Ohio State /Michigan game, what has been referred to as the greatest rivalry in college football, tomorrow is the first day of gun season for deer hunters in Ohio, another "holy day."

So just how important are these two days? If you are from Ohio you know Ohio State football is very important, to the school it has been speculated the athletic program generates revenues in excess of $100 million dollars a year. And how important is the game to fans? I remember a year Ohio State played in the national championship game, it was on a Tuesday night, I heard rumors that the absentee rate this night where I work was 70% on the night shift.

Another "holy day" is the first day of gun season. Some schools have tomorrow off, some will let students off if they bring a note saying they are going hunting, people clamor and plan a year ahead of time to get the day off work. Some enjoy hunting, some want food and some just want the trophy rack to hang on the wall.

As I type I'm trying to think of what might be my "holy day" and I actually have two, the Friday before Memorial Day weekend and again on Labor Day weekend. Whats so special about these days you may ask? Usually I'm heading out of town to a singles retreat.

Although I do not always take it off another Holiday that is "holy" to me is Veterans Day. Not just because I am a Vet but also because many in my family are Vets, including an uncle who was killed as a POW in WWll.

Be it a holiday or just a day that is special to us, we all have "holy days" in our lives. Whats yours?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home