Saturday, November 6, 2010

Veterans Day

As I type we are just 5 days away from Veterans Day, if you know me at all you probably know that my time in the military has a place in my heart surpassed only by Jesus and my family. I served in the Air Force 6 years 7 months and 14 days -- some of the best times of my life.


Growing up I'd always thought I would do at least one tour, military service is part of our family. My grandfather served in WWl, I think everyone of my uncles served sometime during WWll, Korea, myself and many cousins from my generation have covered everything since and I know we have at least one from the next generation who have been to Iraq and Afghanistan.

I don't think the question was if I would ever serve but more like when. So how did I decide when? I had worked as a Manager at McDonald's since high school, I was 25 and had talked to an Air Force recruiter but had not told anyone I was thinking about this. I was visiting my cousin Bud we were doing something and he pulled a blue pencil out of a glass that read "U.S. Air Force" on the side. He looked at it and said sarcastically "that's a sign from God you should join the Air Force" and so my adventure began.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home