Tuesday, November 9, 2010

AGE is NOT just a number...

Some of you know what is about and some have no idea. One thing the military has been known for is acronyms. When I enlisted in the Air Force nearly 25 years ago I knew I would be trained in the mechanical field, it was half way through basic training I found that I would be trained specifically as an Aerospace Ground Equipment (AGE) Mechanic. We were known as the "Age guys" This picture of the fridge was taken while remodeling the kitchen last Christmas, the license plate came off of my 1988 Plymouth Sundance. I bought the car new and and felt it needed something special and at my first duty assignment at Ft. Campbell Kentucky the Age Guys were something special.


What made us so special? Maybe it was not so much that we were special but the things we did that made the job special. During my time at FTCKY I learned a bit about golfing, did some fishing, rode in various helicopters, tanks, and aircraft. I had the chance to work ground support for Air Force One under Presidents Reagan and Bush., eat bologna sandwiches with Barbera Bush, and turn down a photo op with Mike Dukakis. There were some drawbacks also, when the Gulf war was in the early stages we worked a couple 29 hour days, and even had beds brought to our shop so we could sleep when we had the chance.

So for me AGE is not just a number, it was opportunity, the experience of a life time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home