Sunday, May 18, 2008

Piano man .....

You probably know the song, or at least the chorus, "Sing us a song you're the piano man, sing us a song tonight. We're all in the mood for a melody and you've got us feeling alright."  

The last week has been a bit hectic so I decided to splurge and get  some Ralph type therapy -- jump in the car and go for a drive.  Yes hard to believe but gas prices have even got me staying in town,  

I was heading east out of town when I stumbled on this song, just in time to hear the verse "The waitress is practicing politics and the businessmen slowly get stoned. Yes they're sharing a drink they call loneliness but it's better than drinking alone"

So as always I got online to get a good look at the lyrics, I thin k the thing that caught me most off guard was the  year the song came out -- 1973.  35 years ago!  In 1973 I was 12, and getting ready to go to my first unicycle met in Pontiac, MI.

I listened to the entire song and have read the lyrics several times as I type.  The thing that has me most intrigued is this drink "loneliness," we've all had it at one time or another, sometimes it's sitting there waiting on us and sometimes we even ask for it.  

I'm sure we have heard that you can be lonely in a crowd, because you are alone does not mean you are lonely.  I remember meeting with a Christian singles group, we were reading a book by Tommy Tenny, one observation the book made was that Twinkies with a friend are better than having broccoli alone.  

I guess if i were sharing my version of "the drink called loneliness" that would be a brownie for sure if not a road trip to DQ for a Brownie Earthquake.  

So since we are both here with no place else to go, tell me about your "drink called loneliness"

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

My "drink" of choice would be ice cream & chips...a little sweet & then some salty for the "chaser".

May 20, 2008 at 10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home