Monday, January 31, 2022

Radiation with a side of bologna

 I’ve been sitting here for close to an hour thinking about how I would write this post. The first stop going down this road was to see an oncologist, Dr. Lodhawala. It was the usual  blood draws, talk about treatment plan, blood counts, chemo etc.. Dr. Lodhawala agreed with the recommendations that I should have 6 weeks of chemo and radiation followed up with more scans and MRIs to see if more treatment would be needed. On the plus side the Dr. set things up so that I would take a pill once a day for six weeks instead of the traditional chemo. There were other benefits - I got to keep my hair, as I think about it hair loss is probably the most noticeable and expected side effect of cancer treatments.  


,Next stop radiation clinic and the usual scans,MRIs, x-rays, blood work and of course talk about the plan. The plan worked out to be 6 weeks of radiation, Monday through Friday at1:15 PM. Radiation is a very precise treatment which is why my appointment was at 1:15 each day. Another  equally important aspect of the treatment was alignment and to insuure precise alignment every time I went for treatment I was given 3 round circles tatooed on my lower back - not so low you would think they were tramp stamps. 


As the days and weeks went by I got to know people who had appointments about the same time as mind and also a couple people from the pool. Another thing I noticed each time I arrived was a white, full dressed Harley Davidson, so one day I asked if anyone knew who’s it was. To my surprise it belonged to one of the nurses doing my radiation treatment, we  had mutual friend who also rode and she asked if I wanted to take it for a ride. I actually took a few moments to think before I said sure. She gave me the keys and said she got off of work at 5:00.


Ever heard of the G&R Tavern? It is in Waldo, Ohio about 10 miles south of Marion,they have one of the most unique and  best tasting bologna sandwiches  you could find. 

I took my time parking wanting as many people as possible to see me getting off  of this beautiful  piece of machinery . Walking in I took a seat at the back bar and ordered my usual bologna with cheese, no onion and extra pickles but to my disappointment  no-one came in asking who this fine looking Harley belonged to.

I finished eating and as when I came in I took my time getting on the bike and rode back to Marion. Another  day of radiation was finished but this one was special…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home