Friday, April 17, 2009

Could be retired .....

Most are saying "Huh?" and some know what I mean.  23 years ago today I was on my way to San Antonio Texas, Lackland Air Force Base, 3703 BMTS, Flight 439, Dorm B3. 
I know my memory is a bit off as I've aged :)  Its a day most Veterans never forget if you did not stay 20 years and retire.  A day you really do not care to get up and go to the job you are in now, knowing you could be drawing a retirement check.  A day you are reminded that you may have made a mistake in not staying 20 and retiring.

Mostly I try to reflect on the good times of the 6 years 7 months and 14 days I spent on active duty.  I remember getting up early in the morning to drive to the MEP Station to begin my journey, my dad letting me drive his car since he knew I'd be marching everywhere for at least 6 weeks, my brother and brother in law along for the ride, and my dad giving those famous words of advice I'd heard many times before "keep your nose clean"

I remember flying through Atlanta, meeting a British guy who wanted to buy a group of fine young men going off to serve their country a drink after we'd been warned many times not to.  Arriving in the middle of the night and playing a game with our bags called "pick'em up, put'em down"  I packed a very lite duffle bag so it was not hard for me, but those who packed a suitcase.....

Maybe I'll share more about the journey over the next few days, check back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home