Thursday, June 30, 2011

.... and take a bottle full of Rye.....

I had itunes on shuffle the other night and found myself listening to Rod Stewart singing "Handbags and Gladrags" and for the past two days I've run around thinking about one totally unimportant part "sing a song of sixpence for your sake, and take a bottle of rye."


It doesn't take long to realize it's a sad song but it speaks a lot about life and how we can "think" we know what it's about. If you don't know the song I suggest giving it a listen.  The main point of the song is not whats been stuck in my head what has been is....
Once I was a young man, and all I thought I had to do was smile
You are still a young girl and you bought everything in style.
But once you think you're in you're out, cause you don't mean a single thing without 
the Handbags and the Gladrags that your Grandad had to sweat so you could buy.
When I think of this, I think of the many times Paul Fox would remind me that I was a "Spoiled, stinking, rotten brat"  he always said it in a sarcastic tone, jokingly reminding me that I had it good.  And you know what? He was right - I did have life good growing up,  and it was because of the sweat of my parents. 
But my parents did so much more than spoil me,  they taught me some important lessons.  I guess one of the most important one was that I didn't need  "Handbags and Gladrags" and it was ok not to be part of the "in crowd." If I had to pick just one I'd say the most important thing my parents taught me was Respect.  Respect can take you many places in life, you can't buy it, its best given away because it will usually get you more.  
As I think about life I may not have always had the "Gladrags"  but I'm Glad I had the Rags.  

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger BKibbey said...

Made me think of Forever in Bluejeans, Neil Diamond.

It is nice in life, when you get close to the edge going around the turns on some mountain roads, knowing deep down the things that sometimes seem important but you can easily get by without, and knowing also the ones you can't live without.

June 30, 2011 at 7:46 PM  
Blogger B and B said...

Nice reminder of where we come from and how we evolve into who we are... hopefully not "just like" one of our parents, but a part of each to become that individual that lives a life honorable to the sacrifices that our parents made for us. Thanks Ralph.

June 30, 2011 at 10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home