Sunday, February 17, 2008

Roller Disco saved my life...

Today is my birthday and last night I was sharing with a friend about how "Roller Disco" saved my life and he said it sounded like a blog post coming up.  So here goes....
Just over 30 years ago in the fall of 1977 I went to a friends house (Paul) on a Saturday afternoon to see if he wanted to "go do something".  He told me that he was going to Columbus with his friend who I had not met before.  They were going roller skating at what was then USA Roller Skating, I spent my share of time roller skating as a kid and USA in Columbus was kind of like "the place" so I asked if I could go along, and Pauls friend said sure.    I knew it was a church outing but I also knew that I would have a good time, besides skating the had a game room and a place in the middle of the floor called the "inferno" it was like a teen disco, had the lights, music and all.  They also had a giant video screen and that night they showed a seen from the movie "Stripes", the one where the guys show up late for graduation.  It was a great time.
So how did Roller Disco save my life? Well it was this event that got me back in church and 30 years ago today I accepted Jesus as my savior.  I've had my ups and downs but Jesus has always been there for me.  So what next?  Wouldn't be an official post without some lyrics. This is not the complete song but some meaningful lines, and no i do not have the house by the ocean
Ralph


Randy Stonehill

I've got a house down by the ocean the rent is not to high
and I love to watch the ships come in and hear the seagulls cry
lately I've been taking stock of all that I've been through
Oh tomorrow is my birthday, feels funny but its true, I'm turning 30.


And I have friends who care about me, they're the best I've ever had.
And they always stood behind me whenever times got bad ....



2 Comments:

Blogger KingsJester said...

Between Roller Derby and Good News Circle at Judson College (now University) we both did a lot of growing up my friend. Happy Birthday Your brother in Christ

February 17, 2008 at 10:53 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

When I read the first few words of your post, I was very confused! I knew your birthday wasn't in February, but it all make so much more sense now. Happy Birthday! Despite the ups & downs, you are a shining example of God to others!

February 18, 2008 at 9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home